Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves Review

Hey guys,

Today I will finally be reviewing Blood Rose Rebellion by Rosalyn Eves!

Let me just start off by saying that this review is skewed because of my book hangover from Caraval. I did think that the idea of this book is incredible and unique. I really enjoy history so the fact that where and when it was set was Hungary in the mid-1800's was refreshing, and in that Eves has created a pretty unique setting. I thought that the magic system was intriguing, although at times it was a little confusing. For the characters, I really only saw one character really evolve throughout this novel and that is Matayas, but I highly enjoyed that. My problem with this book was just that it never grabbed me in, and I blame Caraval for that. I didn't have that moment in this book where I just couldn't set it down because I saw plot points happening, but it felt as though nothing was happening (if that makes any sense). I didn't feel attached to any of the characters minus Matayas near the end. I would think, "If any of these characters die, I wouldn't care" and I don't want to feel that way in a book. I want to have so many feelings that I can't control myself. I want to be enveloped into the book, and I just wasn't with this one. I blame Caraval for that, not the author. The author's writing was great. I loved the traces of languages throughout the novel and I REALLY appreciated the character chart, the magic explanation, and the translation chart in the back of the book. I love when books have those. 

My opinion rating: 3.5 out of 5 yellow roses
Book rating minus Caraval tint: 4-4.5 out of 5 yellow roses

Thanks for reading,

Delaney M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Funny Book Lover Memes

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag

Most Anticipated YA Releases of 2021 (Part One)