And I Darken by Kiersten White Review

Hey guys!
Today I will be sharing my review for Kiersten White's book And I Darken.


First off, the idea for this book was so amazing. I am so fascinated with the Ottoman Empire and it was an amazing idea with Vlad the Impaler being a girl. The characters were really interesting in this book and I could connect with most of them really well, and not with some others. Sometimes the plot was kinda slow and it made it so it was difficult to read a lot at a time. I heard from other people that it was hard to get into and they were right, you guys know that I am in a reading slump and this book definitely did not help. It was hard to get into which made me not want to read. But that doesn't mean that I didn't overall enjoy this book. I really loved White's writing and I could tell that she really understood the time period. I know some things about the Ottoman Empire and it was really cool to see those aspects incorporated into the writing. At times it was confusing, but I could see why it was like that. I could see that everything White put into the story had a purpose which doesn't always happen in YA. Another thing that you don't see a lot in YA was the diversity in it. There was religion LGBTQ and other diverse things. It was nice to see those things even though I am not pushing to have those in YA, I do enjoy reading it and it is nice that people's voices are being heard in the movement "We Need Diverse Books". Overall, I really did enjoy this book. The characters were interesting, relationships were good, sometimes the plot was slow, but there were other parts of the story that were extremely interesting. I loved White's writing style and how she really knew her stuff about the Ottoman Empire.
I rate this book 4 out of 5 yellow roses.

I hope you liked this review! I know it was really scrambled but it has been a while since I read it.

Thanks,
Delaney M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Funny Book Lover Memes

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag

Most Anticipated YA Releases of 2021 (Part One)