The Fates Divide by Veronica Roth Book Review

 Hey guys! 

I am back after an uber-long hiatus and ready to share with you another review for a book that I most recently read! That book is .... 

Photo credited to The Fates Divide Official Book Trailer

This is the sequel to Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth so if you have not read that book or read my review, you can check it out HERE but please note that there will be spoilers in this review.

I really like Carve the Mark which seemed surprising because there were a lot of people that had a very deep, resounding problem with it. But, personally, I loved it. I thought that the idea for the story was a lot of fun and well played out. I loved the characters and their relationships to one another, and I thought that it was really satisfying to have a universe so evolved and thought through. There were a lot of people saying that the book was inherently racist but I didn't find it to be that way. To be honest, I found it refreshing to have a sci-fi book that I actually really enjoyed.

Now enough of the past book, let's move on to this one.

Although this book was released over three years ago, I was still genuinely excited to get into it. This book really hit the ground running from the last one. There really was never a dull moment or a true lull between scenes as it felt like everything had a purpose of being there. One of my favorite parts of these books are the characters and the relationships between them. Honestly, one of my favorite relationships throughout this whole series ended up being the one between Teka and Cyra. It felt amazing that there was somebody who wasn't afraid of calling Cyra out on her shit or hold her arm walking down the road. The feeling that I got while reading the experiences between Teka and Cyra reminded me of ones I had with new best friends. I would have liked to see the romantic relationship between Cyra and Akos develop more, however I wasn't completely disappointed with how it was done. I thought that the Ogran planet was actually so cool and not like anything I had seen before. A place so devoid of light that they had to weave it into their lives on their own. The Ogran people were also so interesting to read about. I loved the woman who Akos learned from (and for some reason I cannot for the life of me remember her name and decided to not write it down). 

My one big critique for this book was the fact that I completely saw the big plot twist coming that Cyra and Akos were switched at birth by Sifa for the good of both children. I felt like it was so obviously coming that it wasn't that jaw-dropping moment that I wanted. The closest that I came to a jaw-dropping moment was when I discovered that Akos had left Cyra on Ogra. I also never truly understood why he did that either, so if somebody does, please enlighten me. I also didn't super care for the relationship between Cisi and Isae, I just didn't deeply feel the romance between them. It seemed so forced.

I heard some critiques on Eijeh's chapters, however I thought that they were interesting to see from the inside of two people in one body. Seeing both characters at once was definitely different from the rest of the book. I also thought that it was really cool to have the ending be Eijeh going to the Hall of Prophecies and seeing the future. Obviously my favorite part was the very end where we see the new sojourn ship and that Akos and Cyra are together again.

All-in-all, I thought that this was a great, solid book and I enjoyed my time reading it.

For all of these reasons, I rate it 4 out of 5 yellow roses!


Thanks for reading!

Delaney M.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Funny Book Lover Memes

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag

Most Anticipated YA Releases of 2021 (Part One)