Once Upon A Broken Heart by Stephanie Garber Book Review

 Hi everybody,

As you can see from the title of this post, today I have another book review for y'all and this one is for Once Upon A Broken Heart by Stephanie Garber!


If you guys didn't know, Stephanie Garber wrote Caraval which was one of my favorite books of all time and I absolutely loved the sequels to the books. However, I think that my love for those books really put my expectations really high for this new series. I honestly didn't know what to expect from this new series as well, by reading the description, it seemed like there was going to be some connection between the Caraval series and this new one, I just didn't know by how much. 

To be honest, as I was reading like the first 100 pages of this book, it didn't seem like much to me. I wasn't extremely invested in the story, I hadn't really fallen for any of the characters (in fact I didn't even end up loving Evangeline, I did like Jacks as a character much more but I had seen him in the Caraval series) and I wasn't really sure where it would end up going. The story was incredibly easy to read, it just kind of floated in that fairy-tale-like way that made it so easy to glide through. 

One of the most interesting characters, I think, ended up being LaLa. I'm not sure if this was just something that I hadn't picked up from Caraval or what, but I had not thought that she was going to be a Fate and the fact that she was so willing to help Evangeline made my heart warm and then suddenly question her motives. Because isn't that the point of this new series? Never trust a Fate. 

All-in-all, this was just a fun book to read, it wasn't anything absolutely crazy like Caraval was for me but I genuinely enjoyed it a lot. I totally wasn't expecting the big plot twist in the end where Prince Apollo ends up not actually being dead (but not really alive either?) and I am excited to see where this story goes because I think that it could really build into something amazing based on the groundwork that it has.

Since it wasn't all-time mind-blowing but still very good, I'm gonna give this one a 3.75 out of 5 yellow roses.

Thanks for reading,
Delaney M.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Funny Book Lover Memes

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag

Most Anticipated YA Releases of 2021 (Part One)