YA Halloween Reads 2020

Hi guys! 

I know, I know, I said I would be back to a normal posting schedule and be more on top of things, however school is definitely just crazy. Being in college during a pandemic really doesn't give me a lot of time or energy to do anything else but school. With that being said, I'm on here anyways. Since it is officially October, that means it is SPOOKY SEASON. As this is a lot of people's favorite time of year I wanted to share with you guys a list of books to read this October that will get you in that spooky mood. 

So let's get to it.

1. Clown in a Cornfield by Adam Cesare


I have heard a great amount of hype surrounding this book and it definitely is perfect for Halloween time. The story is based in a town called Kettle Springs where the adults and kids are divided and at odds. The adults want to bring Kettle Springs back to it's former glory after the corn syrup factory shut down and the kids just wanna get out of the town and have fun. Everything changes when the mascot, Frendo, ends up a killer and starts to kill off the kids who are "rotten" that live in the town. 
This seems like a really good idea for a story and definitely a scary vibe that is perfect for this season. I'm not a huge scary book person so I probably won't be picking it up, but if any of you read it and review it on your own blog if you have one, definitely comment the link or send it to me on Twitter @DelaneyMacDona4 

2. Blood Countess by Lana Popovic

First of all, I want to say that this cover is AMAZING. I love the design of it so I wanted to give credit to the designer, Hana Anouk Nakamura. Second the description for this sounds incredibly intriguing and I think I would not be able to do it justice in my own words, so I am just going to paste in the description from Goodreads here. 

In 16th century Hungary, Anna Darvulia has just begun working as a scullery maid for the young and glamorous Countess Elizabeth Báthory. When Elizabeth takes a liking to Anna, she’s vaulted to the dream role of chambermaid, a far cry from the filthy servants’ quarters below. She receives wages generous enough to provide for her family, and the Countess begins to groom Anna as her friend and confidante. It’s not long before Anna falls completely under the Countess’s spell—and the Countess takes full advantage. Isolated from her former friends, family, and fiancé, Anna realizes she’s not a friend but a prisoner of the increasingly cruel Elizabeth. Then come the murders, and Anna knows it’s only a matter of time before the Blood Countess turns on her, too.


   3. Burn Our Bodies Down by Rory Power


Yet another beautiful cover. I honestly have not heard a lot about this book but the premise seems interesting. It is essentially about a girl who throughout her whole life has only had her mother and has always wondered about her past and her family's past. She finally gets a glimpse of it when she finds a photograph that leads her to a town, Phalene. Although when she gets there she learns why her mother left with her and now she might not ever be able to escape.

4. Ruthless Gods by Emily A. Duncan

This is the second book in the Something Dark and Holy series. For that reason I will not put in a description because of spoilers. But with that, definitely check out the first book in the series. I tried to make the list with books that came out in 2020 so that is why I didn't put the first one on here. 

5. Category Five by Ann Dávila Cardinal 

This is an extremely interesting concept. On Goodreads it is described as a "supernatural YA thriller set against the backdrop of post-hurricane Puerto Rico". I have never heard of anything like this and the cover gives so many of those creepy feelings that you get with Halloween so I think that this would be a perfect read for Halloween.

Those were just 5 books that I think are some great Halloween reads for 2020. Go check them out and if you do, tell me on here or on Twitter @DelaneyMacDona4

Thanks for reading!
Delaney M.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Funny Book Lover Memes

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag

Most Anticipated YA Releases of 2021 (Part One)