The Wish Granter by CJ Redwine Book Review

Hi guys!

Today I am going to be reviewing The Wish Granter by CJ Redwine!

Before i actually get into the review let me tell you guys two quick stories. 
Firstly, my dog, Maggie, is a rescue from Tennessee and she has separation anxiety. Because of her separation anxiety, she tends to destroy the house when we leave her alone for the day. We keep putting her in a crate but "The Great Houndini" manages to escape even from that. One day when I got home, I see The Wish Granter on the ground shredded to pieces. Maggie... Let's just say that their were some tears. 

Thankfully, my mother went out and bought me another copy. 

Now onto the next, extremely short story.
Someway, somehow, my bookstagram was deleted. Im not exactly sure what happened but thankfully I had saved all of my photos to my phone so I didn't lose those, but all of my followers and likes are gone which is very saddening because I just started gaining some following on it and people took notice.
So please! If you have an Instagram go follow me @bookloversliftingandcrushing1 it would be greatly appreciated. Please like all of the returning photos and spread the word to other people about my account and what happened. I really need it.

Lets just say that this incident brought some more tears. 

Now onto the review

Spoiler-free
So, first off, I definitely did not like this book as much as I liked The Shadow Queen, but I still think that this was a very solid book. 
Going into it, I assumed that it was a sequel to The Shadow Queen, much to my dismay, it was not. And knowing that this was a companion novel, I knew that this had to be a fairytale retelling as well. That being said, for the first 150 pages or so, I had no idea what it was a retelling of. Slowly I figured out that it was a Rumpelstiltskin retelling, which I think is an awesome idea. I can honestly say that of all of the fairytale retellings that I have read, none of them have been about Rumpelstiltskin. But I do wish that I had picked up on it sooner, which was probably my fault. 
I thought that Redwine's characters were well rounded and written well. I had a love hate relationship with the main character, Arianna because, 1 I really liked how she was curvy and loved food and stopped at nothing to protect her family but I thought that she was annoying at times. I really enjoyed Alistair Teague's character which I was not expecting because even at times I actually liked him... I imagine him similar to Loki. Thad was definitely a solid character, I wish we had seen more of him. The relationships between the characters were good, definitely not the same feel as I got from the first book, but still solid. 
The thing that I actually didn't like about this book was the pacing, stuff happened but it wasn't very hard-hitting because of the pacing of the book. The ending was much better than all other parts of the book though, I enjoyed the beginning as well.

Spoiler-y
Now onto the juicy stuff, if you haven't read the book yet, stop reading now. 
So first I want to address Sebastien and Arianna. Throughout the entire book, I knew that they would get together at some time, but I really didn't like how this was done, in fact it kind of annoyed me. It did get better near the end, but I will say that how Redwine did it, is exactly how I would see the character doing it based on what we saw of her personality. 
I really enjoyed the aspects of family with Thad and Ari and also the drug-infested side of families with Sebastien and his mother and the problems with Jacob. 
I thought that Redwine did really well at creating a villain, Jacob, to be completely horrendous that anybody would hate. 
Also, at the end when Teague comes out of Maarit, I was very confused. At first I didn't even know what was happening, it wasn't introduced very well. Then once I realized that Teague came out of her I was thinking "Did he like just take her soul and now he's using her body or was he always using her body?" because I feel like the book would have gone differently if he had always been in her body, but then I remembered that Ari had said something before about how Maarit smelled like fae. I had a theory that Maarit was actually the daughter of Samara, but alas, she was not.

So I am done with that rant, I hope you enjoyed this review!

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 yellow roses

Thanks for reading!

Delaney M.

PS don't forget to follow @bookloversliftingandcrushing1





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Funny Book Lover Memes

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag

Most Anticipated YA Releases of 2021 (Part One)