Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard Review (Spoilers)

Hey guys!
Today I will be reviewing Glass Sword by Victoria Aveyard.

Overall this was an okay book. You could see a total change in the main character's persona, and this was a good thing. It is great to see a character development occur, especially since this character was insufferable throughout most of the first novel. Each individual characters in Glass Sword were well done and they were what really kept my head in the book, but the relationships between the characters could have been more realistic and them being unrealistic put a sour taste in my mouth. Throughout this novel, the plot was not fast paced and had few hard-hitting points, but this was just because I found it to be more of a character driven novel. You can really see how Aveyard's writing has evolved from her first novel to her second. Her words were well calculated and the tropes that plagued the first novel were mostly abolished, however, a few still lied. Her actual writing improved as well, this book had more of a flowing feel that made the pages breathe by. In these aspects, the novel was excellent, but there were multiple things that I personally didn't enjoy other than the character relationships in this book. One of the major things is the constant betrayals, and the fact that you can tell when they are coming. I get that this was part of the book, how Julian had said that "anyone can betray anyone" in Red Queen, but I think Aveyard took it a little too far for my taste. There were too many betrayals that I couldn't tell who was with or against Mare. Another thing that I didn't like was how the plot was spaced out. It seemed that Aveyard focused on certain things that I didn't care for and not enough on some things that I really wanted to know more about, such as the training at the camp. One last thing that I did not like was the deaths at the end of the book. I hadn't even realized that they had died until the following chapters where they were talking about the bodies and graves. Something as major as that should definitely have been handled a little slower.

But this book was not terrible. It was good, okay. I don't agree nor disagree with those who say that this is better than Red Queen, although my rating my say differently...

I rate this book 3.75 out of 5 yellow roses, because although there were things that I didn't like throughout it, none of these made my hate it or want to stop reading it. Also there were some parts that I really did enjoy that kept me interested.

Bye!
Thanks, I hope I didn't spoil you,

Delaney M.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 Funny Book Lover Memes

Mid-Year Book Freakout Tag

Most Anticipated YA Releases of 2021 (Part One)